Friday, February 04, 2005

February 1st-friday Mass 2005

This afternoon, I celebrated the first friday mass at the Engineering Building in UST. I was expecting only a handful of students and faculty members to join in since there was no announcement made yesterday. In fact, I was not even sure of celebrating the Holy Eucharist there. At the start of the Mass, I realized I was wrong. Not only were all the members of the One Voice choir present, the pews that were placed in the middle of the quadrangle filled up by both professors and students sitting side by side, I also looked up the building and there were many students and faculty personnel filling up the fascades of the second floor. I thought that moment was a wonderful rare occasion where everyone is in his rightful place, - the members of the Pax Romana preparing the altar and all the things I needed for the mass including assigning a lector, commentator and reader for the Prayers for the Faithful - everything went just perfect - the sound system, the singing of the choir, etc. Engr. Jun Jongko, one of two eucharistic ministers of the faculty also came and assisted me in giving holy communion.

Likewise as we were about to start, the Dean who was present and sitting at the front row showed her apprehension saying the sky was getting a little overcast and it might rain. I reassured her that that will not happen. It surprised me afterwards about why in the world did I give her that assurance? Well, at that moment I just felt confident that God will not permit rain to ruin our Mass celebration. And indeed we were able to finish the Mass without rain.

Thank you Lord for the good day you have given us, and for giving us the Eucharist as a sign of your great love for all of us!

No comments: