Tuesday, March 29, 2005

Compassion unfulfilled

Yesterday afternoon, I had another encounter with someone in need. This middle-aged woman was sitting at the pavement stairs of the parish chapel when I first saw her. She did not recognize me as a priest at first since I was only wearing a white t-shirt. After a while, a seminarian approached me and used the title "father" during our conversation. And that upon learning that I was a priest did she come to me and asked for financial assistance. Initially I requested her to seek help at the parish office where they provide social services. However she told me they could not provide her with the amount she needs since she is not a parishioner. I was surprised to hear this. She was saying many things about her family problems until I asked her to wait awhile and try once more at the parish office with the help of the info guard. I left to resume with my work without knowing whether the parish office was able to help her.

Deep inside me however, as I was at my office I was burning with compassion for her wondering if she was able to secure the help she needs, as well as my being unable to help her personally at that moment. I could not get her off my thoughts.

This is precisely the reason why the parish office offers social services for the poor and needy. Those who come and seek assistance are enjoined to go there instead of "begging" at the door of the chapel. There were instances in the past where problems occurred on this (e.g., theft, arguments and fights, fraud, etc.) that is why the parish pastoral council decided to put up these services. Of course, on their own anyone can personally help our needy brothers and sisters.

No comments: